Investing in Technology and Cybersecurity Special Grant Call
The Alberta Law Foundation (the Foundation) has established an Investing in Technology and Cybersecurity fund (the Fund) in the amount of $1,000,000 for a one-year period to support initiatives that advance technology and cybersecurity measures in programs and organizations currently funded by the Foundation. The purpose of this call is to provide financial assistance to projects that enhance technological capability, strengthen technology risk management, or foster innovation in management, administration, program delivery, evaluation and risk management processes and practices using technology.
Who Can Apply
The Fund is open to organizations operating a program or project funded by the Alberta Law Foundation.
The maximum amount available for each project is $50,000. Organizations may bring multiple projects; however, each must meet a distinct need.
Use of Funds
The Foundation seeks proposals for one-time projects where funds may be granted for any of the following purposes:
- Projects that improve an organization’s technological infrastructure and environment, such as upgrading hardware, software, and network systems or implementing cloud-based solutions that would contribute to the delivery of the program or project funded by the Foundation.
- Initiatives that enhance cybersecurity capabilities, including threat detection and prevention, incident response planning, employee awareness training, and the adoption of best practices and industry standards by the organization.
- Initiatives that incorporate new technology in the delivery of a program or project funded by the Foundation.
- Initiatives that incorporate new technological solutions in the collection and/or analysis of data for the delivery and/or evaluation of outcomes of a program or project funded by the Foundation.
Call for Applications and Deadlines
Applications will be accepted for one year starting September 11, 2023.
Applications will be reviewed at the Foundation’s regularly scheduled board meetings in October and November 2023 and February, March and June 2024.
Applications may be submitted at any time throughout the year and will be taken to the next Foundation board meeting as determined by Foundation staff. Please note that applications will be closed if the fund is depleted before the year-end.
Grant Application Evaluation Criteria
Grant applications will be assessed by the Foundation’s Board of Directors using the following criteria:
- Demonstrated Need: Organizations must demonstrate a clear need for investment in technology or cybersecurity measures and explain the potential impact on their operation and/or data security, including how the investment will impact or improve service delivery in the program/project funded by the Foundation.
- Project Viability: The proposed project must have a well-defined work plan, budget and timeline, with achievable and measurable deliverables.
- Budget Explanation: If requests are for the purchase of equipment and/or fees to cover outside contractors, the applicant must provide 3 quotes for materials or services and the rationale for choosing one of them.
- Time Frame: Project work must be completed within 12 months after the date the grant is approved.
Inquiry and Application Process
Step 1: Please submit an inquiry by clicking the Investing in Technology and Cybersecurity Special Grant Call Inquiry Form.
Step 2: Foundation staff will review the information provided in the inquiry form and advise you of the next steps. Project proposals that are aligned with the special grant call will be invited to complete a written application on the Alberta Law Foundation Grant Portal.
If you have any questions about how to apply, please contact the Foundation before submitting.
The application will ask for the following information:
- Name of the project;
- Start and end dates for the project;
- Amount requested from the Foundation and total project cost;
- The needs that the project will address and how they were identified;
- How the project will enhance the technological capability of your organization;
- How the project will improve service delivery in programs/projects funded by the Foundation;
- Project development plan including a timeline for actions and milestones;
- List of activities or deliverables that the project will achieve;
- Project funding strategy, including any other funds that may be contributed to the project;
- Detailed budget including a minimum of 3 quotes for equipment and/or fees to cover outside contractors;
Note: This application process does not include a draft application stage.
Future Considerations for Successful Applicants
Organizations will be required to report using the following accountability methods:
- Final Report that details the project deliverables, project funding strategy and budget reconciliation (due one month after project completion)
Please send any questions about the Investing in Technology and Cybersecurity Special Grant Call to Kristen Seipp, Manager, Strategic Grants, at email@example.com.